The Psychology of the Colour RED
What is the meaning of our desire for the colour red and how does it influence us? If red is your favourite colour what does it imply about you and your personality?
Generally, the colour red is associated with passion, desire, energy and determination. Red is a colour which stands out. It can also imply excitement and danger.
The preference for different shades of red can indicate different emotions.
Dark Red, for example, is less aggressive and energetic, more controlled and thoughtful. It also links to willpower, courage and malice. Light Red, on the other hand, is less serious, more playful and indicates sensitivity.
It is said that red colours influence behaviours.
Energy - Being exposed to the colour red is believed to cause increased heart rate and quicken breathing which can naturally cause energy levels to increase.
Passion - Red has strong connections to desire, lust and sexuality. When somebody is dressed in red or, wears red accessories, they are often seen as more attractive.
Intimidation – In team play, a recent study demonstrates that players who wore a red uniform had a psychological influence over the opposing team. This form of intimidation was due to the colour red being viewed as slightly more aggressive. While the influence was small the psychologists seemed convinced that the team wearing red had a slight psychological advantage. A useful tactic when playing a game of one-upmanship in sport or office!
If red is your favourite colour, your personality probably reflects the following attributes:
- You have high levels of physical energy; you’re probably into fitness and sports and you take care of your body.
- You have a strong desire to win and be the best; very competitive and ambitious.
- You are a passionate person and sex is a very important part of your life.
- You have a tendency to want results or gratification instantly.
- You are often impulsive, relying heavily on your intuition and gut instincts.
- You like to travel, exploring the physical world and you seek out physical experiences.
- You are always looking for a new challenge.
- You like to be in control and you seek power over your life or, power in general.
- You have a desire to be the centre of attention which comes easily because your drive and energy attracts others.
People who gravitate to the colour red are said to be more extroverted, not shy. They like attention and being noticed. Such people want to appear more attractive and they care a great deal about their appearance.